Sunday 27 October 2013

My Boshi Yarn - My New Favourite Thing!




There are three yarn shops in Great Yarmouth.  One at the end of the dodgy end of town, so rarely visited.  The other two are cute little local yarn shops, full to the brim with soft squidgy good stuff in hundreds of colours.  Whilst celebrating payday by browsing the aisles for some christmas inspired cottons, I found this:
I took this after I had raided the stash, which is why the display looks a little unkept!  
Bright colours?  Check.  Thick and chunky?  Check.  Ooooh it was everything I'd been waiting for to begin making those winter hats everyone keeps asking me to do.  I scooped up as many colours as I could hold (that's not an exaggeration, literally as many as I could hold) and made my way to the counter.  I even went back and picked up a couple of accessories for good measure.   

The owner of the shop,  Lisa, told me a little about the 'My Boshi' brand.  It's the idea of two German skiiers who learnt to crochet whilst at a remote Japanese ski resort in order to make their own beanies ('Boshi' is Japanese for 'beanie').  The guys then had their idea picked up by DMC and now it's available all over Europe.  You can read a little more about their story here although to be completely honest, most stuff I've found about it on the internet is in German.  

Now I went to town on this stuff.  The heady mix of payday and bright chunkys appears to have forced the sensible, money-conscious part of my brain to switch off so I made it home with a ginormous stash.  

 This is most of it.  There were a couple of pinks and white too.  And more grey.  I loooovvvee grey.  It just goes with everything.  A good mix of fluorescents, brights and base colours.  These three however are my absolute favourites:


I think mossy green is such a lovely colour and the photo doesn't do the bluey-teal justice.  I can't wait to use these together.  In my frenzy, I also picked up the small pattern guide and a label two pack.  The labels are a nice touch in my opinion (although I'm sure some of you will think it's a bit gimmicky).  The labels say 'Selfmade Boshi' and add a nice finishing touch to take away that homemade feel that I wanted to avoid.  The pattern book has three patterns, one slouchy hat, one beanie and one ear warmer and gives patterns for both medium and large head sizes.  Were they a bit of a rip off?  Probably.  The labels were £2! Although I've since found them on the internet for 85p for two and the patterns I probably could have worked out if I gave it a little thought.  But still, I was happy with the things I'd bought.  


I woke up early the next day and could only think of starting a hat.  I blame the fact that it was ridiculously early to account for me making the hat double the size it should have been.  I'm not really sure how I even managed it, or how I failed to notice, but when Coop eventually woke up and began questioning who's head I was making it for, I realised there was only one thing for it; it had to be frogged.  Luckily for me, this stuff works up quickly and the hat was even quicker to make when it was human head sized rather than that of a small elephant!  I should think it took less than three hours from start to finish.  

I am so pleased with how it turned out.  With such a large colour selection, it's easy to find complimentary colours that work well together.  Here it is:


 And modelled by me: (notice the glasses?  I'm rocking a 'Where's Wally?' kind of thing)


The orders for 'My Boshi' hats are already rolling in so I don't think it will take me too long to get through my stash of colours.  Even Coop, a huge clothes snob has selected his colours and requested for his hat to be made next.  Praise indeed!  

Tomorrow, I'll be reviewing My Boshi yarn so be sure to come back and take a look.

27 comments:

  1. Love the beanie! Or should I say boshi? Those colours are so bright and cheery!!! Perfect for when the winter blues threaten to settle in. I also love how grey goes with pretty much everything it is definitely my favourite neutral.

    - J

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh a fellow grey lover! My friends laugh at my love of grey (I'm usually wearing something grey most days without even noticing it!) but I think it's a great base colour to mix with brights x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do you fix the label on without ruining the hat with the heat from the iron?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lay a tea towel over the hat and then am really careful to use the tip of the iron on the label only x

      Delete
  4. I was at Black Sheep wools yesterday and noticed they stocked this yarn, (I wasn't shopping for this type of wool so only had a quick peek at it, and it was only when I got home I realised my husband had put in a request for me to crochet the brain waves beanie for him for his birthday later this month...just in time for the spring! So on reading your review and this post, and seeing your pretty cool, fab hat I've now got to hoof it back over there to get me some too. Only trouble is - which colour to choose cos they're all so nice :-)
    Thanks for sharing this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so jealous that you've been to Black Sheep Wools! It's such an opposite part of the country for me, but I would love to make the trip over there at some point as I imagine it's an aladdin's cave of wool! I'm glad that you found my review helpful; I really am a fan of this yarn and I I'm sure you're husband will be too when he gets his birthday present :) I wish my husband would let me make him presents, any suggestions I make are usually met with a resounding "No!" x

      Delete
  5. Hi I just stumbled across your blog while looking for reviews of My Boshi Yarn and can't believe you're from Yarmouth! I live in Ormesby so just outside of town! I'm curious as to where the yarn shops are in Yarmouth that you said about, I don't venture into town that much, go to norwich more so I have no idea! I've been to Harnser Yarns in Gorleston, but would be nice to have somewhere to go in Yarmouth so I have an excuse to stop for some chips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a small world isn't it?! Norwich is definitely a good place to go for yarn (anywheres better than braving GY!) but there are two main shops; one in Victoria Arcade called Knitters Knook which has some nice yarns at reasonable prices and the other is at the far end of King Street, nice wide range of yarns,nice owner, just a bit of a shame where it is (King Streets a bit of a dodgy area in my opinion). There is also Craftmania on the town centre end of King Street

      Delete
    2. Sorry computers playing up! Craftmania has lots of different craft stuff and some cheapy yarn too but the people in there are a bit miserable!

      What kind of things do you crochet? It's always nice to know of other local crafters :) x

      Delete
    3. Very small world! I'll definitely have to check out those yarn shops next time I'm in town, might make a special trip next week! I agree, king street is ever so slightly dodgy! If there are bars on the windows, I keep away! Unless I'm going to the Yankee Traveller, then I'll park my car there!

      I'm still a bit of a newbie to crochet, just keeping it simple at the moment, making bits and pieces like a round coaster to sit my vase on, on the table, a blanket, little things like hearts, stars and flowers for my son to collect. I'm expecting baby number two and find out the sex in a couple of weeks so I'm going to get some nice colours to try and do the Neat Ripple blanket on Attic24! I bought quite a few of the My Boshi colours at Hobbycraft last week so i'm going to use them for a little trial of the blanket, maybe my son could use it for his teddy!

      Delete
  6. Attention Please!!!

    This is SOF-Standard Online Finance Ltd. A well known and reputable financial lending company giving opportunities to genuine and eligible individuals, companies, corporate organization that is in quest for a loan for personal purpose, business start-ups, business expansion, construction projects, etc. If you are in need of a loan for a legitimate purpose, we urge you all to seize this limited opportunity to join our chains of increasing customers that are giving testimonies of our reliable and efficient lending services. Reach us today via email: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com for more details and procedures.

    Regards,
    Mr. Hameed Youssef
    Marketing Manager
    Standard Online Finance Ltd.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are You In Need Of A Private Or Business Loans At 2% Rate For Various Purposes? If Yes; Contact us: opploansllc@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. We currently have funds for Financing Real Estate, Project Funding, Bridge Loans, Construction Financing, and Ordinary Loans for Company Export/Import financing projects of large volume.

    Here is the area of our funding:

    * Bridging loans
    * Business Loans
    * Personal loan
    * Investment loan
    * Auto loan
    * Construction loans
    * Debt Consolidation
    * Credit line
    * Lend Lease
    * Second mortgage
    * Credit Redemption
    * Project Financing
    * Mortgage
    * Refinancing Loans
    * Real Estate Investment loans
    * Agent/Brokers.

    Our funding interest rate is 3% with five months grace period, and the client needs to ensure his/her project with an insurance company of the total loan sum to guarantee the loan as collateral.

    E-Mail us: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello, I am Mohammedi Miah by name and I want to testify to a good lender who has loaned me a loan of $490,000.00, after being cheated by several international internet financiers, everyone promises to give me a loan after I have been forced to pay a lot of costs that are worthless or a loan Loan No positive result. Until I met a witness who was also scammed and eventually connected to a legitimate loan company called Standard Online Finance Company Limited, where he finally got his loan, so I decided to contact him Loan Company and all they assured me was that I would not cry more because I would get my loan from their company and I would follow them when they reported my surprise. They gave me a loan of $490,000.00 For more information about their services Email: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Get a personal loan from $3,000 to $20,000,000 within 24 hours upon request. Other types of loans are also available in less than 48 hours. Contact me as needed. Contact Us At :abdullahibrahimlender@gmail.com
    whatspp Number +918929490461
    Mr Abdullah Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  11. DO YOU NEED A LOAN?
    We give out loans with an affordable interest rate of 2%
    Captain One provide Excellent and Professional Financial Services and we
    are known and genuine money lenders across the globe
    Our services include the following:
    *Student Loans
    Truck Loan
    Personal Loan
    Debt consolidation loan
    Car Loans
    Business Loan
    Student Loan
    Mortgage Loan
    Refinancing Loan
    Home Loan
    Improvement loan
    Construction Loan
    contact us for more information on how to get started:
    (Whats App) number:
    +919394133968 patialalegitimate515@gmail.com
    Mr Jeffery

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you need loan at a low interest rate? Have you been denied of a loan by bank because you have no collateral or you have bad credit? Are you tired of bank stress? Then you are in the right place contact us now for more details. Email: financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com
    WhatsApp: +918929509036

    ReplyDelete
  13. Join our profitable company without stressing about your work, is a simple trading system just to get your plan of your choice and make a lowest of $2000 with just a little amount of investment, you can make upto $10,000 to $20,000 within a month depending on your plan of investment you can contact supporter ASAP through whatsapp:(+447883246472)
    Email: tdameritrade077@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Consult A Licensed Crypto Recovery Expert / Captain WebGenesis.

    Contact info: Email: Captainwebgenesis@hackermail.com WhatsApp:(+1 (447) 442–0456.}
    G 'day, my name is Michael Collman, and I'm from Australia,...
      Here is my recommendations,
    While looking for help after losing $324,000 USD in Cryptocurrency to an unregulated trading platform (89 percent. com), I came across numerous endorsements and testimonials about Captain WebGenesis, I sent him a direct message, to which he replied and requested some information, which I also provided. After five hours of working with the Expert. and because it took me three weeks to find Captain WebGenesis, the Cyber Lord was able to recover $259,200 USD worth of Bitcoin out of $324,000 USD worth of Bitcoin. Even though he only recovered 80% of my bitcoin, I'm still overjoyed because I didn't think it was possible. Thanks to Captain WebGenesis... If your cryptocurrencies have been stolen in any way, contact the Expert as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete

© Curly Girl Coop. Powered by